The 5Rhythms® dance and movement practice is intimately related to our senses, as it engages and heightens our sensory perception in various ways. The 5Rhythms map provides a profound and multisensory experience that can deeply affect our connection with the world and our own inner selves.
Here's how 5Rhythms are related to our senses:
• Touch (Kinesthetic Sense):In the "Flowing" rhythm, the body moves gently and organically. This rhythm encourages a heightened awareness of your body's sensations and the sensation of touch as you explore various movements and physical expressions. The kinesthetic sense comes alive as you become attuned to the way your body feels and responds to the music and your surroundings.
• Sight (Visual Sense):The "Staccato" rhythm is characterized by precise, angular, and often expressive movements. This rhythm encourages participants to open their eyes and perceive the world around them visually. The visual sense is engaged as you observe the movements and expressions of others in the group, adding a visual layer to the experience.
• Hearing (Auditory Sense):The auditory sense is central in the "Chaos" rhythm, which is about letting go and embracing the wild and unpredictable. Participants often dance to an eclectic mix of music. The auditory sense is heightened as you listen to the music, the sounds of your own breathing, and the collective sound of the group dancing together.
• Taste and Smell (Gustatory and Olfactory Senses): While not as prominent, the sensuous exploration of taste and smell can occur in the "Lyrical" rhythm. In this rhythm, participants may experience a sense of freedom and joy, which can evoke a heightened sense of taste and smell in a celebratory and sensory-rich environment.
• Interoception (Internal Sensations): The "Stillness" rhythm delves into the realm of internal sensations. It encourages participants to tune into their breath, heartbeat, and the subtle sensations within their bodies. This aspect of 5Rhythms allows you to connect with your inner self on a deeply sensory level.
• Synesthesia:Beyond individual senses, 5Rhythms often leads to synesthetic experiences, where multiple senses intertwine. For example, you may feel the music as a physical sensation or see colors and patterns associated with different movements. This merging of senses can provide a profound and unique experience of the practice.
In summary, 5Rhythms offers a holistic and sensory-rich experience by engaging all our senses and encouraging us to be fully present in our bodies. Each rhythm offers a different sensory perspective, and the practice as a whole invites us to explore and deepen our connection with our own sensory experiences and the world around us.
Every Wednesday via ZOOM 6pm -8pm
Price: $20 usd.
Payment via Venmo: @tata-leban
(via friends and family)